Saturday, June 12, 2010

Abigail's First Journey to the Upper East

There is always a firs time to do something and I had the opportunity to travel to the Upper East region for the first time, precisely to Navrongo. Since it was my first time to travel that far, I decided not to sleep on the way so that I can look at things on my way through out my journey. Personally for me it was a sightseeing journey. On my way to UER, just at Tamale I noticed that most people are using motor cycles and bicycles. Traffic wardens give way to these cycles to go before the cars, I found that very interesting especially the way they direct the traffic, because in Accra there is nothing like that. Also I realized that animals like sheep, goats, donkeys and cows cross the road most often.

PURPOSE FOR MY JOURNEY
Finally, I arrived in the UER (Navrongo) where our project site is and the main reason to be here is to train nurses in each of our selected CHPS zones, launch the MoTeCH project and then register patients on MoTeCH.

ORGANISING DURBARS
Due to the low level of technology and undeveloped areas in the UER, communicating information to the people effectively is through durbars. So far I have enjoyed all the durbars I attended and I have learnt new things about these people and their tradition. Some of these things are:
  • At their durbar grounds the women sing to welcome us, even to the extent of bowing down to greet us. The men also drum and dance to welcome and greet us, they do this separately.
  • In most of the communities I visited, they have used calabash and sheep’s skin to make a drum. The drums are played accompanied by whistles curved from wood to produce good sounds for dancing.
  • They perform a “strength needed dance”, that believe me you need extra strength to this dance. Honestly, I tried to learn their dance but I didn’t get it so well because it needs so much strength.
  • Talk of their environs; I call it nature at it best. A lot of baobab trees , Shea-nut trees with lots of cows, sheep, goats, pigs and donkeys grazing and some taken to the farms by the owners to carry their load to their homes. Also you find the birds also feeding on these cows, sheep etc.
  • They have these fascinating names for their communities such as kayoro, Kurugu, Mirigu, nyanyai, ketui, kajelo, kananai etc.
  • Languages spoken here are Kassem and Nankam and I have decided to learn the languages while am here. I have started with Kassem and here a few of the common ones spoken often.
    • Good morning - Din Wor
    • Good afternoon -Din wi
    • Good evening -Din didan
    • General greeting -din l
    • Sorry -Din la
    • Thank you -Akin le
TRAINING OF NURSES AND PREPARATION TOWARDS THE LAUNCH
So far, so good! The training is going down well with the nurses and they are finding it very interesting. They hope it is really going to ease the pressure and then feel good about their work. Also the people of these communities are also very welcoming and ready to join MoTeCH for this wonderful and quality health gaining project.
We are still training the nurses and preparing for the official lunch of the MoTeCH project in the first week of July. Like I said earlier on that, so far it’s been very good and we are hoping to achieve the best result out of this project.  

I am really enjoying my stay here, thanks to MoTeCH!

--Posted by Abigail Annang, MoTeCH Ghana Administrative Assistant

No comments:

Post a Comment